Teaching and Learning Writing with MI Write: Insights for School and District Leaders
- MI Write improved teachers’ confidence in teaching writing and improved students’ confidence as writers.
- MI Write increased teachers’ use of evidence-based writing instruction but had inconsistent impacts on the quality of students’ writing.
- Many students and teachers found MI Write easy to use and suitable for students with diverse abilities and identities.
- Many teachers found MI Write easy to use but had mixed reactions to its automated scoring reports.
- Teachers reported that support from coaches, time to plan and carry out writing instruction, and integration of the tool with the writing curriculum shaped their use of MI Write.
- The approximate cost to implement MI Write for this study was $16.95 per student, including software licensing fees and teacher training offered by MI Write.
This brief aims to provide middle school and district leaders with information that can inform their decision to use automated writing feedback tools like MI Write. The brief summarizes key takeaways from a study of MI Write in grades 7 and 8 English language arts classrooms during the 2021–2022 school year and provides strategies for school and district leaders to support using MI Write.