Mathematica is continuously monitoring this fluid situation, and we are proactively working to minimize any potential impacts on our clients, partners, staff, and the important work that we do together. Learn more.
Using technical assistance to achieve outcomes despite fewer resources.
At the center of LI2 is a recognition of the importance of collaboration between the research and practice communities. Are we studying what key stakeholders need? And are practitioners using science and research evidence?
In addition to fostering collaboration, the LI2 approach acknowledges that practitioners of public agencies and human services organizations are expected to do more with less. Emphasizing evidence and capacity building can help programs achieve targeted outcomes despite having fewer program resources.
- Learn, Innovate, Improve (LI²): Enhancing Programs and Improving Lives is a practice brief describing the LI2 process.
- Learn, Innovate, Improve (LI²): Lessons from the Colorado Works Innovation Initiative is a case study brief that describes how LI2 served to facilitate innovation through a learning community of TANF programs in Colorado.
- The Learn Phase: Creating Sustainable Change in Human Services Programs is a practice brief that provides an overview of the first phase of LI2—the Learn phase—which is intended to lay the foundation for successful and sustainable program changes.
- The Innovate Phase: Co-Creating Evidence-Informed Solutions to Improve Human Services Programs is a practice brief that provides an overview of the second phase of LI2—the Innovate phase—which is intended to help both researchers of human services programs and those who administer programs to generate new and innovative ideas to address pressing challenges.
- Using a “Road Test” to Improve Human Services Programs: Practice Brief, Primer, and Webinar provide detailed guidance about road testing (a component of the Improve stage). For the webinar, simply fill out the registration form and view the recording at your convenience.
Who should use LI2 and for what?
LI2 can be used to support a wide variety of public agencies and organizations at the federal, state, and local levels.
During the Learn phase, we gather information to understand the motivation for change. Perhaps there is a specific problem that needs to be solved, or the program is seeking to try something new.
With the above information in hand, we work collaboratively with programs to develop solutions based on available research evidence. During guided, thoughtful planning sessions, we help program staff think intentionally about what outcomes they seek and what activities will lead to these outcomes.
After the innovation is developed, we improve its implementation through an iterative test-and-refine process.
Want to learn more?
Send us an email or call for more information or to receive a quote: DataWorks@Mathematica-MPR.com.