U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
We will examine how head impacts and reported concussion rates vary by tackling technique, player age, level of play, and contact (tackle) versus noncontact (flag football) programs. We will also examine an alternative tackling technique known as shoulder-style tackling to assess its potential for reducing head impacts and concussions.
Project activities will include:
- Gathering data on the cumulative number of head impacts, the force of the impacts, and the reported concussions incurred by young football players over the course of a football season
- Assessing how head impacts and reported concussions vary in tackle and flag football programs and for players of different skill levels and ages
- Investigating the effect of shoulder-style tackling on head impacts that occur over the course of a football season and whether the effect differs by player age and skill level
- Analyzing coaches’ perceptions of the risks and benefits of alternative rules, practices, policies, and player or coaching behaviors on the potential for player injury
- Examining the experiences of coaches who implement shoulder-style tackling
The findings from this study will provide insights into potential strategies for reducing the risks of tackling in youth football.
Evidence & Insights From This Project
Five Findings to Watch in 2018
Throughout 2017, Mathematica researchers uncovered evidence that can drive policy for the common good. Here are five studies we want to be sure you didn’t miss. The results of these studies—along with many others—are poised to inform key decisions in 2018 and beyond. We hope you’ll stay tuned.Learn More
Senior Director, Commercial Healthcare and Life Sciences (HCLS)View Bio Page
Principal ResearcherView Bio Page
Senior ResearcherView Bio Page
Progress is best made together.
Partner with us at the intersection of data science, social science, and technology to progress from inquiry to insight to impact. Our evidence-informed solutions empower you to see clearly and act quickly.