Mathematica-mpr.com is now Mathematica.org. Please update your bookmarks. Learn more about this change.
Parents and Children Together: Spotlight on Responsible Fatherhood Programs and the Men They Serve
Research shows that fathers want to be involved in their children’s lives. For many low-income fathers, complex and interrelated life challenges can limit their ability to be present and provide for their children. The desire to address these challenges is the motivation for many fathers to enroll in a Responsible Fatherhood (RF) grant program, which provides services in parenting education, employment and economic stability, and healthy marriage and relationship skills.
Through the Parents and Children Together (PACT) evaluation, conducted on behalf of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Administration for Children and Families (Office of Family Assistance and Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation), Mathematica researchers are contributing to the evidence base regarding approaches to increase positive father involvement in children’s lives.
On December 7, a powerful discussion with PACT researchers, RF program administrators, and RF program participants, shared their experiences and what they learned.
- Seth Chamberlain, Senior Social Science Research Analyst, Office of Planning Research and Evaluation (OPRE), Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Robin McDonald, Division Director State Territory TANF Management, Office of Family Assistance (OFA), Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Robin Dion, Mathematica senior fellow, PACT project director
- Pamela Holcomb, Mathematica senior researcher
- Heather Zaveri, Mathematica senior researcher
- Waldo E. Johnson, Jr., Associate Professor, School of Social Service Administration and Faculty Affiliate, Center for the Study of Race, Politics and Culture of the University of Chicago
- Halbert Sullivan, CEO, Fathers’ Support Center, St. Louis, MO
- Brad Lambert, COO and co-founder, Connections to Success, Kansas City, KS and MO
- TBA: Fatherhood program participants
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents and Children Together: The Complex Needs of Low-Income Men and How Responsible Fatherhood Programs Address Them
This report examines (1) the characteristics and views of fathers who voluntarily enrolled in responsible fatherhood programs aimed at increasing their parental involvement, (2) how the programs were designed and implemented, and (3) how the fathers responded to the services offered in the programs.
Fathers' Views of Co-Parenting Relationships: Findings from the PACT Evaluation
In-depth qualitative interviews with a subset of low-income fathers participating in a Responsible Fatherhood program offer insights into the nature of fathers’ co-parenting relationships with their children’s mothers, the tenor of these relationships, and the fathers’ efforts to co-parent their children.