To support Early Care and Education (ECE) programs and staff to deliver quality services that promote postive outcomes for infants and toddlers.
Building on the Quality of Caregiver-Child Interactions for Infants and Toddlers (Q-CCIIT) project, this project aims to support infant-toddler caregivers by offering them professional development materials on a website in the context of supportive coaching.
- The University of Oklahoma-Tulsa
- ZERO TO THREE
- Consultants: Margaret Burchinal, Martha Zaslow, and Jay Buzhardt.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation
The field test of We Grow Together (fall 2018-spring 2019) examined whether We Grow Together could be used by early childhood professionals to support change in beliefs, knowledge, or practice concerning infants and toddlers. The field test included a purposive sample of 271 pairs of caregivers and their local PD providers from 10 geographic areas. We collected implementation data; web user tracking data from the website; web surveys of caregivers, PD providers and FCC providers; paper-and-pencil classroom rosters; and classroom observations using the Q-CCIIT observation tool in participating center-based classrooms and FCC settings.
Findings from the field test included:
- Caregivers reported stronger beliefs and knowledge about supporting children’s language development after We Grow Together implementation than before
- From fall 2018 to spring 2019, observations of caregiver quality indicated improvements in Support for Social-Emotional Development, as measured by the Q-CCIIT instrument scores
- Dosage of We Grow Together was positively related to the overall spring Q-CCIIT classroom quality score and the Support for Language and Literacy Development and Support for Cognitive Development domain scores
We Grow Together Professional Development System
We Grow Together includes materials designed to enable trained local PD providers to support caregivers in learning to implement responsive practices with the infants and toddlers in their care. The goal is for caregivers to adopt the practices as habits and make these practices a regular part of how they interact with the children.
To access a version of this video with audio descriptions, click here
Evidence & Insights From This Project
The We Grow Together Professional Development System, Final Report of the 2019 Field Test
This report sheds light on the implementation of We Grow Together (WGT), a professional development (PD) system designed for caregivers working with infants and toddlers in center-based settings and family child care homes.Learn More