Under a contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), CMS and Mathematica released resources to highlight strategies that Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and End-Stage Renal Disease Seamless Care Organizations (ESCOs) use to improve quality of care, lower health care costs, and enhance the beneficiary experience:
- A care transformation toolkit describes ACO approaches to developing and implementing programs that transform the delivery of care and relate to telehealth, home visits, and timely access to skilled nursing facilities.
- Four case studies feature specific ACO and ESCO initiatives to:
- Increase patients’ access to home dialysis (Fresenius Kidney Care)
- Develop a data management system and analytical tools to improve quality of care and reduce costs (Nebraska Health Network)
- Establish a care coordination program for high-risk beneficiaries (OneCare Vermont)
- Deliver primary care to homebound patients (University of California San Francisco Health)
- A tip sheet highlights strategies for expanding the use of home dialysis, primarily through educating patients.
These materials join a collection of resources that explores how ACOs and ESCOs provide value-based care. Other materials include the previously released provider engagement, beneficiary engagement, and care coordination toolkits, as well as a series of case studies available on the ACO General Information web page.