We’ve set out to estimate the effectiveness of HVRP services by: (1) conducting an impact study using a quasi-experimental design to examine the long-term employment outcomes of HVRP participants compared to outcomes of homeless veterans who do not receive HVRP services, and (2) leading a complementary implementation study to describe grantees’ program models, partnerships, and the homeless veterans they serve.
To help veterans experiencing homelessness find and hold meaningful employment, the Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) awards grants through the Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program (HVRP). HVRP grantees provide homeless veterans with employment-based services and referrals to housing and other supportive services. In fall 2017, DOL’s Chief Evaluation Office, in collaboration with VETS, contracted with Mathematica and its partners to conduct a five-year evaluation of HVRP.
- Social Policy Research Associates
- Urban Institute
U.S. Department of Labor
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy
Chief Evaluation Office
Our research will answer the following questions:
- What are the impacts of HVRP on homeless veterans’ employment and earnings?
- Do HVRP employment-related outcomes vary based on characteristics of those served, the programs or grantees, or of the community in which the program operates?
- What are the types and combinations of programs, approaches, or services provided under the HVRP grant program?
- How are the programs implemented? What factors or conditions influence implementation (i.e., partnerships, strategies, participants, infrastructure, data management, technical assistance)?
- What challenges arise in implementation, and how were those challenges overcome? What implementation practices appear promising or important to the success for program?
Evidence & Insights From This Project
Services Provided to Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program (HVRP) Participants at American Job Centers
The HVRP focuses exclusively on employment services for veterans experiencing homelessness. This brief describes the types of services HVRP participants received at American Job Centers (AJCs) compared to veterans experiencing homelessness who did not participate in HVRP but received AJC services.Learn More
Providing Public Employment Services to Veterans Experiencing Homelessness: Gaps and Opportunities
Senior FellowView Bio Page
Principal ResearcherView Bio Page
See Clearly. Act Quickly.
We can help you shine a spotlight through the dark. Get in touch to learn more about how Mathematica could help advance your mission.Explore Partnership