Measurement and Evaluation Plan Template
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Measurement and Evaluation (M&E) Plan Template is a road map organizations and funders can use to develop a detailed measurement and evaluation plan with support from a research partner. A research partner could be staff within the organization who have expertise in evaluation, or an external organization, technical assistance provider, or consultant.
This template will help users create a complete M&E plan that includes:
- A description of a solution and theory of change
- Information on prior research conducted on the solution
- Detail on how priority communities were and will be involved in the design of the solution and the evaluation
- The study research questions
- The measures and approach that will be used to answer the research questions
- Ambitious targets (or goals) for each intended outcome
- A timeline to carry out the work
We recommend the implementing organization and research partner work together to co-develop the M&E plan, in partnership with representatives from the priority communities. For funders working with multiple organizations, the M&E Plan Template also promotes continuity across plans, allowing for streamlined review, improved understanding, and cross-solution comparisons.